Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Weekend at the Cabin on Kolob

A few times a summer, we pack up nearly half the house and head up - literally - up 5000 feet to the top of Kolob mountain where Beatty family cabin sits nestled between the pines and quaky trees. It is 20 degrees cooler at that altitude and much nicer in the summer than the 105 degree days we deal with here in Utah Dixie.

Two weekends ago we rented a Yamaha Rhino and hooked up with my Mom and Dad and their new Rhino and went exploring all over Kolob. Liberty and Lincoln road in the back of mom and dads in a jump seat while Liberty was strapped down in her car seat in the bed of our matching. It was a little chilly but very beautiful and I think the kids enjoyed it.



Well, the week before I had been up to the cabin and set out a bunch of traps to catch some kind of animal that had made its home inside the cabin. When we entered the cabin I was expecting to catch a few little mice and a chipmunk. Surprisingly, all the traps were sprung, but only animal was caught. It actually had been caught twice. Once in a jaw trap. It been caught and then had chewed the tether that kept the jaw trap from moving. It then got caught in a live trap dragging the jaw trap the whole time.



That night we reset the traps. At 4AM Sheri wakes me up and asked me to go check out a noise. We caught another one. I safely released it outside, hopefully to be never be seen again.

By the way, it looks to be a Pack Rat (Wood Rat).



The rest of the weekend was spent playing on a huge swing that I attached an old milk crate to. The kids absolutely loved it. We also made swords and played pretend alot.
We especially enjoyed the fire in the new stove.


Eating breakfast in front of the fire was a real treat. We need to get back up to Kolob really soon.






Wade

















2 comments:

  1. That sounds so nice with all that cooler weather. I am glad you guys had fun!
    Do you really think the rat won't come back if you just let it go? I guess my spouse kills pests like that. I am curious, let me know if it doesn't come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Wade sealed up all of the cracks and holes where the critters where getting in. We went back up there this week and there were no signs of any more problems. It's much nicer being up there with out unwanted company.

    ReplyDelete